On Thursday, the 28th of February, the Kia Motors Corp. and its affiliate Hyundai Motor Co. had issued a statement, saying that they would be recalling more than 5,34,000 additional vehicles in United States, as an attempt to avert further risks of engine fires.
According to the statement, the Kia had been quoted saying they were going to recall about 3,78,000, 2012-2016 Kia Soul Vehicles for engine damage and fire risks, while Kia and Hyundai said that they were recalling 1,55,000, 2011-2013 model Tucson vehicles, alongside 2011-2012 Sportage Vehicle models on possible risks of oil pans in a separate setback.
Although, last month the companies had said that they would be recalling around 1,68,000 vehicles over fire risks, the figure grew significantly larger over a period of less than four weeks. Adding the new figures into the damage tally of the South Korean automakers, the total number of recalled vehicles would account for 2.3 million since 2015 in a series of recalls, addressing wide-ranging engine fire risks.
A Reuters’ report had revealed on last November that the US Federal Prosecutors had launched a criminal investigation to determine whether the recalling of South Korea based automakers’ vehicles were conducted properly.
While being asked, the company had declined to comment on the criminal investigation, although the added figures of vehicle recalls of Kia and Hyundai were pointing towards something entirely suspicious.