On Wednesday, the 20th of March 2019, the US President Donald Trump said that the United States might leave tariffs on Chinese goods for a “substantial period” for making sure that China complied with any trade agreement.
This intransigent stance of Trump had already complicated the US-China trade talk outlook scheduled to resume next week, as Chinese officials were asking for an entire lift of US tariff on Chinese goods as part of the deal, people familiar with the trade talk mentioned on Wednesday, March 20th.
Besides, the US President had also added that his top negotiators, Treasury’s Mnuchin and Trade Representative Lighthizer, would be leaving for Beijing this weekend, confirming the plan of next round of face-to-face trade talk with China.
Next leg of face-to-face trade talk would be the first after Trump had delayed tariff on $200 billion worth of Chinese goods earlier this month. Addressing to his intention of pushing the deal further ahead, Trump said to the reporters in White House on Wednesday (March 20th), “The deal is coming along nicely.
We’re not talking about removing them (tariff). We’re talking about leaving them for a substantial period of time because we have to make sure that if we do the deal, China lives by it”.