Amid a chorus of garrulous debate on whether Japan had made too many concessions without any promises from the US president Donald Trump, a top government spokesman for Japan said on Monday, the 26th of August 2019, that, Tokyo did not make too many concessions to United States adding that the free trade treaty reached between the world’s first- and third-largest economy held tremendous significance as Sino-US tariff row had still been roaring over the horizon.
In point of fact, latest comment from a Japanese government official came in to being a day after US president Donald Trump and his Japanese counterpart Shinzo Abe had agreed on to the core elements of a trade deal over the sidelines of latest G7 summit in France, which was expected to be rubberstamped in New York next month.
Nonetheless, although a final accord could calm down a trade dispute between two long-time allies, as United States’ Trump had been seeking to decline a havoc-scale trade deficit with Japan for more than a year, some Japanese analysts were quoted saying following Abe’s speech on latest G7 in France that Tokyo gave up too much, while US President Donald Trump did not make any commitment to cancel his threat of inclining additional tariff on Japanese autos.
However, defending Trump’s stance, Japanese Chief Cabinet secretary, Yoshihide Suga said in a news conference in Tokyo, “Japan and the U.S. have negotiated based on the joint statement last September. Related ministers agreed based on that, so it was very valuable,” adding that Abe and Trump had previously agreed that US would not pledge on to anything amid ongoing talks.