On Friday, the 6th of September 2019, American multinational semiconductor and telecom equipment manufacturer, Qualcomm Inc., headquartered in San Diego, California, had pledged to deliver mid-range fifth-generation smartphones with a high-end modem to the masses as early as by next year, while it remained uncertain on how the Chinese tech conglomerate, Huawei Inc., world’s No.
1 telco gear maker would grapple with the intense competition amid a crippling US blacklisting aimed at scrapping its supply chains. Besides, the fifth-generation chipsets of San Diego-based mobile phone chipmaker, Qualcomm had already been rolled out on five Samsung devices including a $1,299 Galaxy S10 5G and its new high-end Galaxy Fold priced at $2,000.
Apart from that, the world’s No. 1 smartphone vendor, South Korea’s Samsung Electronics had also placed Qualcomm chips in its low-budget A90 5G smartphone models priced at €750. Meanwhile, adding that a transformation to 5G networks would take place more rapidly than it took for 4G to replace 3G networks, Qualcomm President, Cristiano Amon said to the reporters over the sidelines of IFA consumer electronics fair in Berlin, “The transition to 5G is going to be faster than earlier transitions.
Now we have to bring it to everyone. ” Nonetheless, if truth is to be told, more than 20 network developers across the world alongside a swath of smartphone vendors hailing from United States to Europe to China launching fifth-generation smartphone and services would likely to meet with a steep competition, while despite being deprived of US-based critical tech supplies, Huawei Technologies unleashed its high-end 5G chipsets earlier at the stage of IFA claiming that its chipsets were superior to Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 8 series.