On Saturday, the 7th of September 2019, Italian railway group, Ferrovie Dello Stato, owned by the Italian ministry of economy and finance with more than 75000 employees across the globe, had unveiled its plan to bid for a US contract what could be worth as much as $20 billion.
Aside from that, the state-owned holding company’s Chief Executive, Gianfranco Battisti had been quoted saying that the bid had been a part of Ferrovie Dello Stato’s (FS) expansion strategy to branch out of conventional market, a strategy seems identical to the attempted rescue of flagship carrier Alitalia by the Italian railway group.
Meanwhile, expressing a through-and-through optimism over FS’s plan to branch out into the international markets, Battisti said over the sidelines of the Ambrosetti business forum in Cernobbio on Saturday (Sept. 6th), “Exploring international markets is an important part of our industrial plan.
In the world there are a lot of opportunities to develop motorway and railway infrastructures and we have the skills to do that. ” Besides, while being asked about the US contract worth of $20 billion, Battisti said the US contracts would likely to involve maintenance operations in the cities of Washington and LA.
Nonetheless, latest development regarding FS bid came forth after media reports unveiled earlier this week that FS alongside other potential bidders might ask the US government to extend bidding time to submit their proposals.