Xiaomi says plans to launch more than 10 5G phones next year



by   |  VIEW 329

Xiaomi says plans to launch more than 10 5G phones next year

Beijing-based Chinese smartphone manufacturer, Xiaomi Corp. had been planning to roll out more than 10 new fifth-generation phones in 2020, CEO of the world’s third-largest smartphone vendor Xiaomi Corp., behind South Korea’s Samsung Electronics and China’s Huawei Technologies, Lei Jun said in the stage of World Internet Conference in the eastern Chinese town of Wuzhen on Sunday, the 20th of October 2019.

In point of fact, Xiaomi CEP Lei’s latest comments came forth over the heels of intense competition the smartphone maker had been facing off from its larger rival Huawei Technologies at the home market amid a US tariff hike of up to 25 per cent on a swath of Chinese products ranging from electronics to child’s playthings to autos.

Nonetheless, sending a submissive threat to 4G (LTE) model developers, Xiaomi Corp. CEO Lei added that the mobile phone industry should be worried that the 4G models might not be sold next year. Aside from that, Lei's comment came at a critical time, when US-based chipmakers had fallen short of ammunition to create modems for fifth-generation networking technology.

Amid such extent of competitive landscape in the smartphone industry, Apple Inc., the fourth-largest smartphone vendor across the world and the highest tax-payer among all tech conglomerates, had purchased Intel's chipmaking wing earlier this year in order to quicken the process of developing fifth-generation modem chips.