On Thursday, the 28th of November 2019, the Chinese Ministry of Transport had issued a statement saying that a limit would be inclined on the number of rides drivers could offer through apps such as China’s home-grown Did Chuxing’s Hitch, while a trial-run of the legislation inclined on ride-sharing apps would set out as early as this month a year after the service was suspended following death of two passengers.
Besides, following reveal of Thursday’s (November 28th) Chinese Ministry of Transport’s announcement, several industry analysts were quoted saying that the latest China move was pointing towards the scale of regulatory scrutiny ride-sharing firms were facing in China, adding that the situation got worse since two occurrences where Hitch drivers had killed two of their passengers.
Nonetheless, during its resumption of operation after a year of suspension, China’s Didi had said earlier this week that it had enhanced its safety features substantially, while it had also curbed the number of daily rides a driver could offer and instrumented more stiffer driver and passenger verification mechanisms.
Meanwhile, at a press briefing on Thursday (November 28th), the director of the ministry’s transportation service department, Xu Yahua said while being asked about Hitch’s relaunch, “According to local regulations, car-pooling services should have a certain limit on the number of rides each car can offer. ”