TikTok, the popular Chinese video-sharing social networking service owned by the Beijing-based technology conglomerate ByteDance, claimed to have distanced itself from the Chinese Government after the Indian Government of PM Narendra Modi of Bhartiya Janata Party had banned 59 Chinese apps in the country as a response to the latest escalation in border dispute over the north-western Himalayan region, a letter from the TikTok Chief Executive sent to the Indian Government seen by a press agency reporter had unveiled on Friday.
More importantly, a source familiar with the issue said on the condition of anonymity on Friday that the letter was sent to the Indian Government ahead of a likely meet of the company and Government officials next week. In point of fact, in a letter to the Indian Govt.
dated back to June 28th, seen by a press agency reporter on Friday, the TikTok Chief Executive Kevin Mayer was quoted saying that the Chinese Government had never asked for user data adding that the company would never turn them to the Government, had it been asked.
China never requests user data from TikTok, claims CEO Mayer
Meanwhile, as a slew of Indian start-up video sharing sites were flooded with millions of new subscriptions following the ban of 59 Chinese apps including Tencent’s WeChat and Alibaba’s UC Browser, TikTok’s Mayer wrote in the letter to the Indian Government, “I can confirm that the Chinese government has never made a request to us for the TikTok data of Indian users.
If we do ever receive such a request in the future, we would not comply,” adding that the Indian users’ data were saved in a secured server in Singapore. Aside from that, following the ban of TikTok in India which had a user-base of roughly 200 million in the world’s second-most populated country, Indian start-ups were swamped with new subscriptions as an Indian video sharing site Rosopo founded back in the 2014, had told that its user base surged over 22 million in just two days.
Latest leg of spat between the nuclear-powered neighbours that resulted in the Chinese app ban, had been rooted in a clash between the Indian Army and the Chinese border troops last month over a potential border dispute that had witnessed the deaths of 20 Indian soldiers and 50 Chinese border guards, said the sources.