Chinese retail and gaming industry conglomerate holding Tencent-owned battle royal game PUBG, having had 119 million paid and non-paid subscriptions in India, had been among the 118 Chinese mobile apps blocked by the Indian Government on Wednesday, as pressures mount over the Indian Government of PM Modi amid a worsening relationship with its noisy neighbour.
In point of fact, according to a statement from the world’s second-most populated country’s Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology released late on Wednesday, branding the existence of blocked Chinese apps a menacing threat to the national defence of India, the Ministry was quoted saying “The apps, mostly Chinese, are accused of engaging in activities which is prejudicial to sovereignty and integrity of India, defence of India, security of state and public order”.
Delhi claims has many complaints on malicious Chinese apps stealing national secrets
Notably, latest decision from the Indian Government to ban 118 Chinese apps including the popular mobile game PUBG which has clocked over 100 million installs in India in just two years according to data tracker appleinsider.com, came against the backdrop of a Government remark that said New Delhi had been witnessing an upsurge in complaints against many Chinese apps which appeared to be stealing and routing users’ data in an unauthorized manner in the servers outside of India, though the Govt.
had declined to comment on whether the rerouted users’ data had been exploited in any kind of internet scams. Meanwhile, adding that a serpentine handing of Indian users’ personal data had forced the Ministry to play hard ball against Beijing, the announcement said, “The compilation of these data, its mining and profiling by elements hostile to national security and defence of India ...
is a matter of very deep and immediate concern which requires emergency measures. ... This decision is a targeted move to ensure safety, security and sovereignty of Indian cyberspace. ”