General Motor Co., the Detroit, Michigan-based United States’ second-largest automaker behind e-vehicle trailblazer Tesla Inc., had issued a statement on Friday saying that the American multinational automaker was going to recall as many as 68,677 e-vehicles across the globe over potential fire risk.
So far, five cases of fires and two minor injuries had been reported. On top of that, the Detroit automotive industry giant which has long been the United States’ No.
1 fossil-fuel run vehicle manufacturer, had added on its Friday’s statement that the recalls would involve 2017-19 model year Chevrolet Bolt EVs which had been designed with high-voltage batteries produced in the LG Chem Ltd.’s Korea facility, while GM had also been quoted saying that the vehicles became susceptible to potential fire risks when being fully charged.
In order to address the issue, General Motor had been working out a plan to limit the recalled vehicles’ charging capacity below 90 per cent. The Detroit-based carmaker had also been looking to a more permanent solution, said GM.
GM to recall 69,000 Bolt EVs over potential fire below rear seats
Aside from that, latest move from General Motors Co. followed a preliminary investigation from the US NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) on Bolt EVs after reports of three fire hazards last month.
Concomitantly, shortly after the reveal of GM statement to recall roughly 69,000 Bolt EVs, US road transportation authority (NHTSA) said in a separate statement on Friday, “Bolt owners should park their cars outside and away from homes until their vehicles have been repaired, due to a new recall for the risk of fire.
” Besides, citing the automaker did not believe that all of the recalled cars would have similar problems and the measure was mostly precautionary, executive Chief Engineer for Chevrolet Bolt EV, Jesse Ortega said to the reporters on Friday, “We’re working together around the clock to deploy a final remedy as soon as possible after the first of the year”.