The attacker (27) in Chicago shot at colleagues: One person dead, two wounded

One person was killed and two were injured after Saturday's shooting at the Weather Tech warehouse in Bolingbrook, a suburb of Chicago, reports ABC Chicago.

by Faruk Imamovic
The attacker (27) in Chicago shot at colleagues: One person dead, two wounded

Police officers were dispatched to the scene of the shooting at 6:25 a.m. after reports of shots fired, Bolingbrook police said. The attacker was found and detained the same day around 9:25 p.m.

He shot his colleagues

One wounded person is fighting for his life and the other has been released from the hospital.

Police identified the attacker as 27-year-old Charles C. McKnight. The police said that the attacker was a temporary employee of the warehouse and that he was accused of stealing the watch and wallet of two colleagues. The young man is charged with first-degree murder and two first-degree attempted murders.

A preliminary investigation revealed McKnight, who worked at the facility through a temporary employment agency, was confronted by employees for allegedly robbing two co-workers at gunpoint, Bolingbrook police said. An argument ensued during the confrontation, and the suspect pulled out a handgun, shooting three co-workers, authorities stated.

Central Hightower, a 37-year-old man from Plainfield, died from his injuries, authorities stated. A 25-year-old male, who was one of the earlier robbery victims, was shot and listed in critical condition. A 43-year-old man sustained gunshot injuries and has since been released from the hospital.

Approximately three hours following the shooting, McKnight was located by police in the rear of a residence in the 500 block of Larkspur Lane, authorities said. He was taken into custody without incident. McKnight had been assigned to the WeatherTech facility since June 9.

"On behalf of our Mayor Mary Alexander Basta, the Village of Bolingbrook, our police department and WeatherTech — our thoughts and prayers are extended to the victims and their families," Chief of Police Mike Rompa said in a news release.

U.S. Rep. Bill Foster, D-11, issued a statement Saturday afternoon in response to the shooting. "Today, our community has been shattered by yet another act of senseless gun violence," he said. "This is a statement I had hoped I would never have to make again in my career.

Just three years ago, a shooting at Henry Pratt in Aurora took five innocent lives and injured six police officers. Fourteen years ago, one of my first official acts as a Congressman was to attend memorial services for the victims of the NIU shootings in DeKalb.

No one should have to worry about random gun violence while going about their normal lives, and we cannot accept this as a new reality."