Several people died in an attack in Denmark, the attacker is 22 years old.



by   |  VIEW 356

Several people died in an attack in Denmark, the attacker is 22 years old.

Several people were killed in a shooting at a shopping center in Copenhagen on Sunday, Danish police announced, adding that they had arrested a 22-year-old man and did not rule out the suspicion that it was terrorism, Danish media reported.

"There are several injuries and we know that several people have died," said Chief Police Inspector Soren Thomassen, adding that police had launched a massive manhunt on the island of Zealand to determine if there were more attackers.

Thomassen refused to talk about the suspect's potential motives and whether he was previously known to the police, but said that he is an ethnic Dane, reports the Danish Berlingske.

"People thought it was a robbery"


Copenhagen police previously announced that they had arrived at the Fields shopping center in the afternoon following a report of a shooting.

"At first people thought it was a robbery. Then I heard a shot and threw myself behind the counter in the store," said witness Rikke Levandovski to TV2. "He shot at people, not at the ceiling or the floor," she added.

Fields is a shopping center with several floors, shops, a restaurant and a parking lot, located about five kilometers south of the center of Copenhagen. Copenhagen's main hospital, Rigshospitalitet, admitted a "small group of patients" for treatment, its spokesman said.

He added that the hospital had called in additional staff, including surgeons and nurses. The last militant attack in the Nordic country took place in 2015, when two people were killed and six police officers were injured outside a cultural center where a debate on freedom of speech was being held.

The attacker later killed one person in front of the synagogue and was himself killed in a clash with the police.

Multiple events cancelled


Due to today's attack, the event marking the end of the first part of the Tour de France cycling race, hosted by the Danish prince, was canceled on Sunday, and Danish Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen was supposed to be a guest. The concert of pop musician Harry Styles, who was supposed to play in a nearby hall, was also cancelled.