Breaking: 48-Hour Manhunt Ends After Deadliest Episode of Violence in Maine's History

Capture of Suspect Brings Relief to Devastated Community

by Sededin Dedovic
Breaking: 48-Hour Manhunt Ends After Deadliest Episode of Violence in Maine's History
© Youtube Printscreen

A suspect in the horrific killing of 18 people and the wounding of 13 others in Lewiston, Maine, has been located deceased, bringing an end to a harrowing 48-hour manhunt that unfolded in the aftermath of the deadliest episode of violence ever witnessed in the state's history.

The lifeless body of the alleged shooter, Robert R. Card, 40, was discovered in the densely wooded outskirts near the neighboring city of Lisbon, where law enforcement had initially located his abandoned vehicle shortly after the tragic shooting rampage on Wednesday evening.

Reuters reported this significant development, which has finally provided some respite to a community still reeling from the traumatic events. Maine Governor Janet Mills, expressing the collective relief of her constituents, addressed the public during a press conference, stating, "He is dead.

Like many others, I can breathe a sigh of relief tonight knowing that Robert Card is no longer a threat to anyone." She went on to extend her heartfelt gratitude to the hundreds of officers from various law enforcement agencies who had dedicated themselves to the relentless pursuit of the suspect.

In a chilling twist, American authorities unearthed a message left behind by the suspect, in which Robert Card seemingly anticipated his own demise. CNN reported this unsettling detail today, further deepening the mystery surrounding the motives behind the brutal attacks.

The victims of the horrifying shootings that took place in Lewiston, a quiet town in the American state of Maine, spanned a wide range of ages, from 14 to 76 years old. Their loss has left an indelible scar on the tight-knit community and the entire state.

It's imperative to remember that Governor Janet Mills had initially revealed the shocking toll of the tragedy: at least 18 individuals were killed, and 13 were left wounded as a result of the horrifying shooting spree that occurred on Thursday, October 26.

In response to this devastating incident, federal agents from the FBI, ATF (Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives), and the US Department of the Interior had swiftly joined the efforts to track down the suspected attacker, collaborating with local law enforcement agencies in a united front to bring closure to this dark chapter in Maine's history.