Terror in Moscow: the UK and US embassies warned of a terrorist attack on March 7

In the concert hall "Crocus City" in Moscow this afternoon, there was a shooting and two bombs were thrown, after which a fire broke out that led to the collapse of the roof, a large number of citizens were killed and injured

by Sededin Dedovic
Terror in Moscow: the UK and US embassies warned of a terrorist attack on March 7
© The Times and The Sunday Times / YOutube channel

The opulent Crocus City Hall in Moscow, a symbol of art and entertainment, became the scene of unimaginable horror this afternoon. While everyone was having a carefree time, suddenly there was a shooting that broke the peaceful atmosphere of the concert.

Panic ensued, followed soon after by two explosions that shook the building. For now, it is not known which explosive devices were activated, but the roof collapsed due to the force of the explosion, and it is assumed that hundreds of people were injured and there are dozens of dead.

The first reports, collected on social networks, depicted a horrifying scene. Videos taken by distraught concertgoers show the two attackers, dressed in black and armed with automatic weapons, unleashing a barrage of bullets into the packed venue.

Confusion reigned as screams and gunfire echoed off the walls. We remind you that on March 7, we informed you that several foreign embassies warned of possible terrorist attacks in Moscow for Women's Day, including the USA and the UK.

Citizens are invited not to visit public places. It was surprising that the Kremlin did not comment on these allegations until the next day, when Dimitry Peskov briefly stated that they were not aware of such allegations. News agencies were quick to confirm these reports.

Russian Interfax reported that a group of at least five people may have been involved. Images showed flames licking up the facade of the building, smoke billowing into the sky as terrified survivors fled.

Amid the swirling chaos, rescue efforts swung into action. Firefighters desperately fought the fire, while medical personnel came to the aid of the injured.

Helicopters buzzed overhead, surveying the damage and potentially helping with evacuations. Unconfirmed reports on Telegram channels (a Russian social network) suggest that more than 140 people were injured and at least 40 people were killed.

The true numbers remained shrouded in uncertainty as the situation unfolded. However, the true extent of this terrible terrorist act is still not known, and the number of dead will probably exceed 100, given the large number of people who were at the concert at the time of the attack.

The Russian Ministry of Emergency Situations confirmed the evacuation of around 100 people from the burning building. Witnesses told stories of bravery and resilience - concertgoers dived for cover, then scrambled for exits, some even helping others in the pandemonium.

A 22-year-old boy, Voislav Hurkov, returned to the inferno several times and pulled out people who were suffocating from the smoke. "People in the hall laid down on the floor to avoid the shooting, they lay down for 15 to 20 minutes, after which they started to leave.

Many managed to get out," said the correspondent of the Russian RIA Agency. The cause of the fire remained unclear. Some reports claim that grenades or incendiary devices were used, while others suggest that the fire may have been an accidental result of the first shot.

However, one detail was chillingly obvious: this was no random act.

The timing of the attack, which coincided with the concert, indicated a deliberate attempt to cause mass casualties.

This is really related to the statements of the US and UK embassies on March 7, and that is exactly what their citizens in Russia were called to avoid public gatherings and 'concerts' The Russian government reacted quickly.

Special Forces units descended on the scene, battling the flames and securing the perimeter. Security measures have been tightened at airports, urging passengers to arrive well in advance of their scheduled flights. All public gatherings in Moscow, including sporting and cultural events, were suddenly cancelled.

The attack sparked a wave of international condemnation. Leaders from around the world expressed their condolences to the victims and their families. The Russian Foreign Ministry, through spokeswoman Maria Zakharova, demanded that the US share any concrete evidence it might have about potential terrorist threats.

Meanwhile, the attacker's fate remained unknown. Were they arrested, neutralized or were they still at large in the burning building? This uncertainty fueled a deep sense of unease.

Attackers shooting at people© The Telegraph / Youtube channel

As the day progressed, Moscow Region Governor Andrey Vorobyov announced the formation of a special task force to investigate the attack and oversee the aftermath.

The Crocus City Hall subway station continued to operate, offering a potential escape route for those still trapped in the inferno. The tragedy in Crocus City Hall caused shock throughout Russia and the world. The following days will be crucial, not only for the rescue, but also for discovering the perpetrators and determining their motives in this really very strange case.

Russia has called on foreign agencies to provide information if they have information about the case. The White House announced earlier that they are still gathering information about the attack in Moscow. They said there is no indication at this time of Ukrainian involvement in the ongoing attack. This incident will undoubtedly leave a lasting scar in the collective memory of Russia.