Hezbollah's Largest Attack in Months: Over 200 Rockets and Drones Fired at IDF Bases

Hezbollah has launched a significant barrage of over 200 rockets at Israeli military bases in response to the killing of one of its commanders

by Sededin Dedovic
SHARE
Hezbollah's Largest Attack in Months: Over 200 Rockets and Drones Fired at IDF Bases
© Amir Levy / Getty Images

The Lebanese Hezbollah announced today that it fired more than 200 rockets at several military bases in Israel in response to yesterday's strike that killed one of its commanders. Today's attack by this pro-Iranian extremist organization is one of the largest in months-long clashes along the Lebanese-Israeli border, as tensions have been simmering in recent weeks, according to the Associated Press.

The Israeli military did not immediately comment on the attack, and on Wednesday, it confirmed the killing of Mohammed Nameh Naser, who led one of the three regional divisions in southern Lebanon. A few hours later, Hezbollah fired dozens of "Katyusha" and "Falaq" rockets with heavy warheads at northern Israel and the occupied Golan Heights.

The rocket fire continued today. The US and France are attempting to prevent the conflict from escalating into an all-out war that could spread to the Arab world. In today's statement, the Shiite Hezbollah specified that it targeted five positions with various types of rockets, according to AFP.

Later, Hezbollah also announced that it had launched several explosive drones at eight Israeli positions in continued response to the attack and the killing of one of its commanders. The Israeli military said today that it struck rocket launch positions in Lebanon after several rockets and aircraft were launched from that country toward Israel, a day after the assassination of a Hezbollah commander.

"After sirens were activated in northern Israel, numerous rockets and suspicious aircraft crossed the border between Lebanon and Israeli territory. The military attacked launch positions in southern Lebanon," said a brief military statement, according to AFP.

A fire breaks out after a rocket fired from Lebanon strikes near a military base on July 4, 2024 in Northern Israel. Hezbollah c© Amir Levy / Getty Images

Hezbollah earlier announced that it had fired more than 200 rockets of various types and drones at five Israeli military positions.

The Israeli military said it intercepted several rockets from Lebanon but did not report whether anyone was injured during the interceptions, which caused rockets to fall and fires to break out in northern Israel, the Associated Press reported.

Yesterday, the military confirmed the killing of Mohammed Nameh Naser, who led one of the three regional divisions in southern Lebanon. The low-level conflict on the Lebanon-Israel border broke out shortly after the start of the Israeli army's war with Hamas in Gaza on October 7 of last year.

Hezbollah says it is attacking Israel in solidarity with its Palestinian ally Hamas. Both organizations are supported by Iran.

Debris and destruction from recent Israeli strikes are seen on June 26, 2024 in Alma Alchaab, Lebanon.

Hezbollah and the Israeli© Chris McGrath / Getty Images

In cross-border clashes so far, more than 450 people have been killed in Lebanon, mostly Hezbollah fighters, but also dozens of civilians. In northern Israel, 16 soldiers and 11 civilians have been killed.

The conflict has displaced tens of thousands of people on both sides of the border.

Third phase of the Gaza war will last for years

According to the Swiss newspaper Le Temps, referred to by Al Jazeera, the third phase of Israel's war in Gaza, which Tel Aviv has announced, will begin at the end of this month and will be "lower intensity" on a military level but will last a long time, possibly years.

In a report by Jerusalem correspondent Charlotte Gauthier, the newspaper explained that Israeli forces in the Gaza Strip would withdraw from the cities but remain in two key areas: the Netzarim corridor, which separates northern and southern Gaza, and the Philadelphia corridor, which marks the border with Egypt in the far south of the Strip.

She mentioned that Yaakov Amidror, a former national security advisor to the Israeli prime minister, confirmed to the American magazine Time that "deployment in these areas will be permanent, allowing entry into the Gaza Strip whenever necessary." "Part of Hamas's structures have not yet been destroyed because we haven't searched everything.

In the coming years, we will intervene whenever we discover an active Hamas cell or structure, cleaning up everything left, kilometer by kilometer."

Troops in northern Gaza for conflict with Lebanon

Gauthier commented that this goal seems difficult to achieve, as shown by the operation Israel launched in Rafah in early May, and Israeli military experts agree that the attempt to achieve this will make the new phase last for years.

She added that this goal, the implementation of a new long-term low-intensity phase, would cause problems, such as the realization by families of hostages in Gaza that the government has given up on their children. Yishai Dan Jawi, a relative of one of the hostages in Gaza, said replacing this conflict with a "lower intensity" phase is not enough and that "what is required is the end of this war to bring back all the hostages." Gauthier also reported from Amidror that the third phase in Gaza allows for the deployment of forces to the north, so they will be more prepared for a comprehensive conflict with Lebanon.

Source: AFP, AP, Al Jazeera

SHARE