Later on Thursday, the 15th of August 2019, US President Donald Trump said that Chinese and US negotiators had been holding productive talks, besides they were expected to meet as early as next month for next leg of face-to-face meet despite an added tariff on $125 billion worth of Chinese imports scheduled to take place by September 1st.
Further inside the bid, adding that he and some Chinese negotiators had been in a ‘very good conversation’ before delaying tariff on roughly $150 billion worth of Chinese imports including child’s playthings, cell phones, laptops alongside tablet computers, US President Donald Trump said to the reporters in New Jersey, “September, the meeting is still on as I understand it, but I think more importantly than September, we’re talking by phone, and we’re having very productive talks.
I think we’re having very good discussions with China. They very much want to make a deal. I think the longer it goes the stronger we get”. Aside from that, Trump had added that he had a phone conversation scheduled with his Chinese counterpart Xi Jinping, but declined to comment on when it would be taking place.
Nonetheless, while US President seems to be prudentially optimistic over ‘China talks’, at the same day, Beijing had issued a public statement saying that soon it would retaliate the latest US tariff on $300 billion worth of Chinese imports, spurring further confusion at such a market condition which had already been trembling over nerve-wracking frets of further escalation of a yearlong Sino-US trade spat.
Further dampening trade talk outlooks and reflecting an entirely contrarian view to Donald Trump’s earlier statement, China’s Foreign Ministry spokeswoman, Hua Chunying said, “We hope the U.S. will meet China halfway, and implement the consensus of the two heads of the two countries in Osaka. ”