On Wednesday, the head of ACM (Automobile Club de Monaco) said that Monaco has been in an advanced staged talk with F1 to extend its contract beyond 2022, suggesting that future of the showcase race in F1 calendar would more likely to be secured in a near term. In point of fact, speaking in an interview with France’s Auto Hebdo media outlet, the ACM President Michel Boeri also has assured that the 2022 F1 event will take place in Monaco. Nonetheless, latest remarks from Boeri came against the backdrop of a growing cynicism about the future of Monaco F1 event.
Monaco GP future is secure, says ACM President Boeri
In the latest flashpoint of a media-induced debate on whether ACM could be able to reach a new contract with Formula One, hitting back at media headlines that underlined the Monaco race could be in danger for financial reasons, Boeri said to Auto Hebdo, “It was suggested that Liberty Media's demands were too excessive for Monaco and the Grand Prix would no longer be held.
That's not true. We are still in talks with them and we must now make it concrete by signing a contract. I can guarantee you that after 2022 the Grand Prix will continue to take place. I don't know if the contract will be for three or five years, but that's a detail”.
Monaco F1 event, that had been featured in the first ever F1 World Championship back in the 1950s, has widely been contemplated as one of the crown jewels of Formula One calendar. However, Boeri’s reassurance over a contract extension for Monaco F1 event came forth as the historical racing arena has been facing off steep competition in terms of glamour from the tracks like of Miami, Las Vegas, Abu Dhabi and Singapore.