Alonso to join Aston Martin in a multi-year deal from 2023 after Vettel retirement



by   |  VIEW 355

Alonso to join Aston Martin in a multi-year deal from 2023 after Vettel retirement

Fernando Alonso, the 41-year-old Spaniard who is still contemplated as one of the finest racers in Formula One arena, will replace the retiring Sebastian Vettel at Aston Martin next year, Aston Martin F1 Team had confirmed in a statement on Monday.

In point of fact, latest move from Aston Martin came forth as Vettel, the four-times world champion, had unexpectedly announced his retirement by end-2022 last week. Vettel won four straight driver’s championship titles between 2010 and 2013 with Red Bull.

Nonetheless, Vettel said during announcing his retirement that he wants to spend more times with family and other charitable activities.

Fernando Alonso to replace Vettel at Aston Martin in 2023

On top of that, the Aston Martin F1 team said in a statement earlier in the day that Alonso, the two-times world champion, had signed off a multi-year contract with the Formula One team.

However, the move appears to have opened up a window of opportunity for Alpine F1 team to include F2 champion Oscar Piastri next season. Alonso, nonetheless, said in a recent interview that he wants to stay at Alpine. However, followed by the Aston Martin announcement, Alonso said, “This Aston Martin team is clearly applying the energy and commitment to win, and it is therefore one of the most exciting teams in Formula One today.

I have known Lawrence and Lance for many years and it is very obvious that they have the ambition and passion to succeed in Formula One. I still have the hunger and ambition to fight to be at the front, and I want to be part of an organisation that is committed to learn, develop and succeed.

We all appreciate that there is much to be done to get to the front, and that we must apply all our energies in working together to find performance. The passion and desire to perform that I have witnessed convince me to maintain my enjoyment and commitment to the sport.

I intend to win again in this sport and therefore I have to take the opportunities that feel right to me”. The multi-year agreement with Aston Martin illustrates that the 41-year-old Spaniard will team up with Lance Stroll next year.

Alonso won two consecutive driver’s championship titles back in 2005 and 2006 with Renault.