Formula One drivers upset over Belgium GP future as Gasly says it’s all about money



by   |  VIEW 394

Formula One drivers upset over Belgium GP future as Gasly says it’s all about money

As Spa-Francorchamps Circuit has been facing off an unfathomable scale of uncertainty over its position in Formula 1 calendar, a number of F1 racers had opened up so far in favour of the legacy tracks. Nevertheless, despite supports from F1 drivers, the Belgium would highly unlikely to make it into F1 calendar next year, as 2023 will witness an addition of a number of new events including a Saturday night Las Vegas event, alongside a return of Qatar and Chinese GP, while South Africa is going to hold its first F1 event since 1992.

Although, the current contract obliged F1 teams to attend 24 races every year, F1 Chief Domenicali has expressed optimism that the Formula One could arrange up to 30 races a season. Contemplating the profitability and audience-presence at newer venues, many F1 drivers fretted that the Spa could be lost in the meadows of Formula One administration’s covetousness for money that FIA want to shelve in expense of legacy.

F1 drivers worried about losing about losing Spa

Meanwhile, as Vettel, the 35-year-old cookie who is going to retire by year-end alongside Red Bull’s Perez, had already expressed their concerns about legacy tracks over recent past, speaking in an interview with a press agency, Lando Norris said, “I personally have a lot to do with Spa of course and I love the circuit.

I went to Belgium for many years and spent a lot of time there with my family, "I'm looking forward to experiencing the changes and the new tarmac, and a new grandstand at Raidillon. I always look forward to Spa. It's one of the coolest circuits all season.

It would be a shame to lose Spa. A lot of things these days are just about money, that's the problem. It's a business. It's a historic race for F1, the same as Monaco. As far as I know, they don't even pay in Monaco and it's still on the calendar – same with Monza.

So I think Spa should always be there as long as Formula 1 exists” Besides, adding that the decisions from FIA to shrug off legacy tracks are all about money, AlphaTauri’s Gasly said, “Personally I don't think it has anything to do with safety, but I can't wrap my head around the fact that it's disappearing from the calendar”.