Nico Hulkenberg, the 35-year old German racer who is serving as a reserve in Aston Martin F1 team this season, will replace Mick Schumacher at Haas in 2023, as the low-budget F1 team which have been facing off an upscaled difficulty after having been forced to leave their former sponsor, the Mazepin family, would likely to witness another tough season next year.
Given Hulkenberg’s previous performance in Formula One, it is unrealistic to expect something special from the German with a low-budget engineering team in Haas. Haas had to recall their former driver Magnussen after leaving Nikita Mazepin, the F1 driver whose role came alongside the Mazepin family sponsorship.
However, Mick Schumacher has been an entire disaster this season and his departure seemed to be a matter of time, as he rarely finished even at top fifteen, while he had been warned back in August that he could not continue to break off his cars.
Hulkenberg to replace Schumacher next year
Hulkenberg had not had a chance to race in F1 as a full-time driver since 2019, however, he made four appearances last year as a super-sub. Meanwhile, speaking in an interview with a press agency over Haas’ latest decision to replace Schumacher, Haas team principal Guenther Steiner said, “As I always said it was not an easy decision what is best to do for the team.
In the summer when we didn't have a decision there was no decision. The contract was only signed yesterday, for example. We wanted to see what to do best and give Mick as much time as possible that we can make the best decision possible.
There was not a point on August 7 or nothing like this. It was a continuous talking with Mr. [Gene] Haas [team owner], what is best for the team and then we came up with a conclusion I think it was last week what to do”.
Schumacher, the 23-year-old who had broken off his car twice this season and had experienced the highest number of DNFs, would likely to have a tough time to return into Formula One, suggested a swathe of F1 analysts.