'Never say Never', Ontario's F1 test driver Wickens to return after near-fatal crash



by   |  VIEW 3023

'Never say Never', Ontario's F1 test driver Wickens to return after near-fatal crash

Robert Tyler Wickens, 32, the Canadian motorsports racing driver hailing from Guelph, Ontario, who had been partially paralyzed following a near-death IndyCar crash, has been cleared by physicians to return to the racing track for first time since his accident during IMSA Michelin Pilot Cup Championship, Wickens said later last week.

Apart from that, the Canadian racer who had shown a propitious future early in his 20s, but had reportedly been lost in the meadows of a sustenance of complications in personal life, would participate in a season opener on January 28 at the 24 hours Daytona race weekend, while Wickens was quoted saying he would team up with Mark Wilkins and that he would be driving a Hyundai customized by Bryan Herta Autosport in the four-hour long event.

Meanwhile, addressing to his harsh journey towards getting back into a racing track, Wickens said in a tweet, “It’s been a long, winding and difficult road to this point and the journey is not over but (I'm) thankful we’ll be able to move down the road with a bit more speed.

Now, let’s go win.

Wickens set to return to racing track after near fatal 2018 crash

In the matter of the fact, Wickens, a Formula 1 test driver, had suffered from life-threatening spinal injuries alongside multiple fractures on his legs and arms during a Pocono Raceway crash back in the 2018s, while his car had even flipped into the air and tossed on to fences as it had shattered into pieces across the track after having catapulted in the wires.

Nevertheless, Wickens, who had been a runner-up in 2010 GP3 Series and had finished at a second spot on FIA Formula 2 Championship back in the 2009s, would be driving a specially designed Hyundai fitted with a custom-made hand-control system alongside a switch that would deactivate hand throttle when Wilkins would be in the racing track, added Wickens.

Meanwhile, expressing an out and out enthusiasm on the 32-year-old’s return into the racing track, BHA President Bryan Herta said in a statement, “Today is a monumental day for us as a team and as fans of Robert Wickens.

We have followed along with Robert’s rehabilitation and marvelled at his determination and dedication, along with his many, many fans. To now announce that he will be making his professional motorsports return in one of our Hyundai Elantra N TCR cars is truly incredible.