Hate Crime in Vermont! Shooting Leaves Palestinian Student Paralyzed


Hate Crime in Vermont! Shooting Leaves Palestinian Student Paralyzed
© X/QudsNen

In a Vermont town, a shocking incident shattered the peace during the Thanksgiving holiday. Hisham Awartani, a 20-year-old junior from Brown University, along with two friends, Kinnan Abdalhamid and Tahseen Ali Ahmad, became victims of an unexpected act of violence.

Awartani now faces a challenging future, paralyzed after a bullet lodged in his spine.

A Mother's Heartache and Hope

Elizabeth Price, Hisham's mother, shared her heart-wrenching story with CNN. She revealed the grim prognosis: her son may never regain the use of his legs.

Amidst this despair, Price also spoke of resilience and unexpected support. A GoFundMe campaign has been launched to assist Hisham as he embarks on the daunting journey of recovery. “It's been a gut-wrenching and difficult six days, but it's also been remarkable and awe-inspiring,” Price reflected.

She spoke of her son and his friends' resilience, their strength, and their deep concern for each other and their families. The outpouring of global support, including messages of love and solidarity, has been a source of comfort for the family.

Abdalhamid said what happened to him and his friends has changed them, as well as other Palestinian families. “We have a very, very strong sense of community. And, it kind of just ripples throughout,” he said. “… And that’s why every Palestinian right now is in anguish for what’s happening in Gaza, especially that the ceasefire has ended”.

The Incident and Its Aftermath

The incident, as described by Burlington Police Chief Jon Murad, occurred when the three friends were out for a walk, conversing in English and Arabic. Jason J. Eaton, 48, has been arrested and charged with three counts of attempted murder.

Eaton pleaded not guilty, and authorities are investigating the possibility of a hate crime motive. In addition to Awartani’s life-altering injury, his friends also sustained serious wounds and were hospitalized in the ICU.

Thankfully, Tahseen Ali Ahmad has been released from the hospital. His mother joined him in the U.S. after obtaining an emergency visa.