New York Mets not giving up on struggling Robinson Cano



by   |  VIEW 1120

New York Mets not giving up on struggling Robinson Cano

Robinson Cano hasn't gotten off to a good start to the season but the New York Mets aren't ready yet to write him off. On Thursday, the Mets defeated the San Francisco Giants 6-2. Cano, 39, was out of the starting lineup for a second straight day.

Cano, who still has two years left on his contract and is owed $40.5 million, is 5-for-27 (.185) on the season Cano has historically been better in June and July than April and May. “I’ll tell you, in fairness to him and most of our players: Try to let the weather get a little warmer,” Mets manager Buck Showalter said of Cano, per The Post.

“Where Robbie’s concerned … you’re trying to give him the benefit of the doubt. He’s had some good at-bats, had a good spring for us. And it was warm in [Port] St. Lucie. You try to keep in mind all the things that go into it”.

Showalter: I'm not ready to quit or give up on Cano

Cano missed the entire 2021 season after testing positive for performance-enhancing drugs and he admitted he felt like he let his teammates down last year. Cano is off to a slow start to his comeback season but the Mets have a great respect for him and are willing to give him more time to find his game.

“I will say this: I will never underestimate him. I will not sell him short. Sometimes it may not look aesthetically pleasing on a given night, but I wouldn’t sell him short,” Showalter said. “He’s had really good hitting skills.

People always say bat-to-ball skills, but it’s more than that”. When Cano arrived for spring training, he wanted to do one thing first - apologize to his Mets teammates for missing out on the entire 2021 season because of his suspension.

Cano's apology was accepted and he was hoping a strong play on the field would help him forget a "depressive" 2021.