Ice Cube says Warner Bros won’t give him “Friday” rights

In the latest episode of Mike Tyson’s “Hotboxin” podcast, Ice Cube said that the Warner Bros. won’t hand him the full control of “Friday” film franchise

by Sourav D
SHARE
Ice Cube says Warner Bros won’t give him “Friday” rights

In the latest episode of Mike Tyson’s “Hotboxin” podcast, Ice Cube, the 53-year-old LA-borne American rapper, actor and filmmaker, said that the Warner Bros won’t hand him the full control of “Friday” film franchise, while the father of five also had urged that the studio must offer him the rights to the franchise contemplating the scale of works being done over the film.

On top of that, while being asked whether he is going to purchase the rights, Ice Cube had rejected the concept saying that the Warner Bros. is acting weird right now. If truth is to be spoken, Cube had starred and wrote the storylines alongside screenplays of all three “Friday” movies, however, the movies had been produced and distributed by New Line Cinema.

After Warner Bros’ merger with New Line Cinema back in the 2008s, Ice Cube could not move forward with a fourth “Friday” without a go-ahead greenlight from the studio.

Ice Cube says Warner Bros won’t give him “Friday” rights

The first three films of “Friday” franchises were released back in the 1995, 2000 and 2002, long before the merger of Warner Bros and New Line Cinema.

Amid such baleful backdrop for the 53-year-old, expressing a through-and-through pessimism, Ice Cube said in the podcast, “I don’t know. Warner Brothers is weird right now. I don’t know what they’re doing.

They don’t know what they’re doing. We’d love to have it back. I think it’s going be close to a time when we get it back. So, we’ll either wait for that time, or we’ll keep trying to convince them that they need to let us control the movie.

It’s my movie, but they have distribution control”. While being asked whether he is willing to pay for the rights of “Friday” franchise, Cube responded, “I ain’t putting shit up for it.

Fuck no. They need to give it to me, and they’re going to make money. I’m not about to pay for my own stuff, that’s stupid. They need to do the right thing, get it to us, let us turn it into more money, and make the fans happy…We can do a lot with it”.

Earlier this year, Ice Cube had revealed that he had written two more “Friday” movies, but couldn’t enter into the production as he lacked consent from Warner Bros.

Warner Bros Mike Tyson
SHARE