The Houston Texans have reached settlement with 30 Deshaun Watson accusers and they won't face any further lawsuits. In June, a lawsuit was filed against the Texans as the accuser alleged that the Texans knew about Watson's behavior but still decided to stay quiet.
In a statement released, the Texans claim they didn't know about Watson's alleged misconduct shown during message sessions. "We were shocked and deeply saddened when we first learned of the allegations against our then franchise quarterback in March 2021," Texans owners Janice Hannah and Cal McNair said in a statement published.
"Although our organization did not have any knowledge of Deshaun Watson's alleged misconduct, we have intentionally chosen to resolve this matter amicably. This is not an admission of any wrongdoing, but instead a clear stand against any for of se*ual assault and misconduct.
We hope that today's resolution will provide some form of closure to the parties involved, our fans and the Houston community at large. As an organization, we will now turn our focus to the future and doing what we can to ensure respect for all."
The Texans avoid what could have been big problems for them
On Friday, Tony Buzbee - the attorney representing the accusers in the Watson case - said the Texans have reached a settlement with 30 women but added the amount paid will stay confidential.
"Today all of the women who have made, or intended to make, claims against the Houston Texans organization have resolved their claims. The terms of the settlements, to include the amounts paid each, are confidential.
I will have no further comment on the allegations or the Texans' alleged role, other than to say that there is a marked contrast in the way in which the Texans addressed these allegations, and the way in which Watson's team has done so," Buzbee said in a statement.
Last month, Watson reached settlement with 20 of his 24 accusers. Watson isn't a Texan anymore after being traded to the Cleveland Browns at the start of free agency.