Pelé's daughters said the health of the Brazilian soccer legend, hospitalized in Sao Paulo since last Tuesday, is at risk and they said they are confident he will return home when he recovers from a lung infection.
Pele was hospitalized on Tuesday for a review of his chemotherapy treatment for colon cancer diagnosed last year, Albert Einstein Hospital reported. In the latest medical bulletin on Saturday, the clinic announced that 'O Rei' remains stable with a good response to the respiratory infection.
Doctors gave news after the alarming news spread by the Brazilian newspaper Folha de Sao Paulo, according to which Pelé would no longer respond to chemotherapy and would have been transferred to the hospital's palliative care department.
"Pelé is sick, he's elderly, but he's currently hospitalized with a lung infection. And when he's better, he'll go home. He's not saying goodbye in the hospital," Kely Nascimento said in a television interview with Fantastico.
of the Globe channel. "He's not in the intensive care unit, he's in a normal room. He's not at risk, he's being treated," added his sister, Flavia Arantes. Latests about Pelé The 82-year-old Brazilian soccer legend is said to have been hospitalized in serious condition in Sao Paulo hospital after experiencing generalized swelling all over his body and decompensated heart failure.
Pele had recently been operated on for colon cancer. According to ESPN Brazil, Pelè was hospitalized yesterday due to abnormal swelling throughout her body. Doctors also diagnosed heart failure from decompensation. Not only that, another problem discovered by the doctors is that the chemotherapy carried out in recent months would not have given a positive response.
On social media, daughter Kelly wrote: "My father is in the hospital for a course of treatment. I will not take the first flight to go to him, my brothers are with dad. I will go to him on New Year's Eve."