"There may be a lot of chatter, but we are focused on continuing to put on a great event for a long time to come. Novak will not sue Tennis Australia and will be able to play the tournament again in 2023 if he wants to." These were the words spoken by Australian Open director Craig Tiley to the microphones of Australian broadcaster ABC TV.
Tiley said he was optimistic about Novak Djokovic's future and thinks that the Serbian will be able to participate without problems in the next edition of the Australian Open in 2023. The only good news for the Belgrade in view of future engagements came directly from France.
Analyzing in detail the rules relating to the new French vaccination passport, it seems that Djokovic will defend the title he won last year at the Roland Garros even without a vaccine. The vaccination pass will in fact also be valid for all those subjects recovered from Covid-19 for no more than six months.
Considering the official documents made public by the Federal Court, Djokovic contracted Covid-19 on December 16 and will be free to circulate in France at least until mid-June.
Zlatan Ibrahimovic on Novak Djokovic's vaccine issue
The Roland Garros, this year, will be played from 22 May to 5 June; therefore, at least theoretically, there should be no problems for the 20-time Grand Slam champion.
Asked about the Novak Djokovic case in an interview with the weekly Journal du Dimanche, AC Milan soccer star Zlatan Ibrahimovic expressed his personal opinion on the matter. Ibrahimovic, who played also in the USA Soccer Major League, said about the issue: "Getting vaccinated for health reasons is not the same as taking part in a tennis tournament.
Those who get vaccinated do so because they believe in it and think it is effective against the disease. But everyone has an opinion of him. People shouldn't be forced to get vaccinated just to go to work. I got vaccinated because I think it's the best way to protect myself, not to play soccer. These are two different situations."