MotoGP Joins Liberty Media in Major $4.2 Billion Acquisition

Liberty Media, the owner of Formula 1 since 2017, has announced a monumental acquisition of MotoGP.

by Faruk Imamovic
SHARE
MotoGP Joins Liberty Media in Major $4.2 Billion Acquisition
© Getty Images/Mirco Lazzari gp

Liberty Media, the owner of Formula 1 since 2017, has announced a monumental acquisition of MotoGP. The deal, valued at $4.2 billion, sees Liberty taking an 86 percent stake in Dorna Sports, the parent company of the premier motorbike racing series, with the current management holding onto the remaining 14 percent.

A New Chapter for MotoGP

MotoGP, which was first established in 1949, represents the pinnacle of motorbike racing. The series has seen substantial growth over the years, and the 2024 season is set to feature 22 races across 18 countries. The acquisition comes at a time when MotoGP is gearing up for the United States Grand Prix at the Circuit of the Americas in Austin, Texas, on April 14, underscoring the global appeal and expansive reach of the series.

Dorna Sports, under the stewardship of CEO Carmelo Ezpeleta, has not only overseen the operations of MotoGP but also manages the feeder series Moto2 and Moto3, as well as MotoE, the Superbike World Championship, and the FIM Women’s Motorcycling World Championship. This comprehensive portfolio underscores the significance of the acquisition for Liberty Media, as it looks to bolster its holdings in the global sports and entertainment sectors.

Strategic Growth and Expansion

The acquisition, subject to various competition and foreign investment law clearances and approvals, is poised for completion by the end of 2024. Liberty Media's President and CEO, Greg Maffei, expressed enthusiasm about the acquisition, highlighting MotoGP's "loyal, enthusiastic fan base, captivating racing, and a highly cash flow generative financial profile." Maffei outlined ambitious plans for the series, aiming to grow the sport for fans, teams, commercial partners, and shareholders alike.

Carmelo Ezpeleta, echoing the sentiments of growth and expansion, regarded the acquisition as the "perfect next step in the evolution of MotoGP." He emphasized the value and growth potential of the sport, attributing its success to the efforts of Dorna Sports and expressing confidence in Liberty Media's ability to elevate MotoGP to new heights on the global stage.

This acquisition marks a pivotal moment in the history of MotoGP. With the backing of Liberty Media, a new era of growth and global expansion seems poised to begin, promising to enhance the sport's appeal and reach to fans around the world.

Motogp
SHARE