Many MMA portals reported that we are getting closer to the official contracting of the fight between Aljaamin Sterling and T.J. Dillashaw. It is a match for the champion of the bantamweight category, and the planned date of that fight is also known.
Sterling and Dillashaw are set to settle on Sept. 10 (ninth month) at the UFC 279 event, and the location is still unknown. Although the impression was that everything had been agreed, Aljaamain Sterling soon responded by denying the allegations.
Aljaamin wants more money
The champion explained that the offer exists, but he does not want to accept it for now. The reasons are clear and expected, Aljaamin wants more money, especially now that he is the undisputed champion of the category.
“There’s no fight until there’s no ink on paper, and from now on, my contract is exactly the same,” Sterling began with an explanation via his YouTube channel. Aljaamin, after the match against Petar Yan in the fourth month, revealed that his base fee is 400 thousand dollars.
Sterling wants a clause that increases his fee after each additional win and believes it would be fair by the promotion, especially after everything he has done in the last few matches. “There hasn’t been an escalator in this fight,” Sterling said.
“I would like to think that I played my part, did the right thing and even allowed myself to be the bad guy in the last outing with Petr Yan, and helped develop the story. “So you would think that being a company guy would really help you in the long run.
So I did my job: right now, I’m training, hoping that we can come to some kind of agreement to give some kind of salary increase that naturally happens in all contracts”. Sterling explained, and then made it clear that there is nothing left of the fight against Dillashaw so far.
“For me, I want to make sure we make the right deal before we jump into another fight, because at the end of the day, I’ve come up the ranks, worked hard and played my position in terms of helping promote fights, which a lot of these guys do.
they don’t even do,” he said. “I am here to be a company man and at the same time I want to look out for my best interests. There’s a fine line where there’s a balance where both can be achieved”.
added the champion, who obviously has no intention of performing until certain changes in his contract occur. All of this is reminiscent of the case of Francis Ngannou who is also a champion and also refuses to fight until the UFC meets his demands.
The good thing is that the champions decided to step out because they are actually the most influential among the fighters on the UFC roster.