Two and a half weeks have passed since the UFC 278 event held last month in Salt Lake City. Leon Edwards shocked the world by knocking out Kamaru Usman near the end of the fifth round, and with that, he also won the title of UFC welterweight champion.
Paulo Costa retired Luke Rockhold after 15 minutes of a very exciting fight, and Merab Dvalishvili killed Jose Aldo's dreams of winning the bantamweight title. All in all, it was a very interesting event, and we had to wait two and a half weeks before the fighters' fees became public.
It is always interesting to see how much the UFC pays its fighters, given that it is the world's strongest MMA organization. The amounts that will be known to the public are actually basic fees, and many fighters have included in their contracts a bonus that they receive in case of victory.
The percentage of PPV sales is unknown and not included in this list. Kamaru Usman received $500,000 in fees for his defeat of Leon Edwards, while "Rocky" earned $350,000 as a challenger. Paulo Costa, a fighter who has one fight left on his current contract and a fighter who complains about a very bad contract is really not making much money.
He is the best middleweight fighter, and his fee is 65,000 dollars, but he received even more as part of the bonus for the victory. Luke Rockhold earned $200,000. Dvalishvili earned $198,000 for his victory over Aldo, while Aldo is guaranteed $400,000 for each performance according to his contract.
UFC 278 - fighter earnings (in US dollars)
The main part of the show:
- Leon Edwards ($350,000 + no win bonus = $350,000) def. Kamaru Usman ($500,000)
- Paulo Costa ($65,000 + $65,000 win bonus = $130,000) def. Luke Rockhold ($200,000)
- Merab Dvalishvili ($99,000 + $99,000 win bonus = $198,000) def.
Jose Aldo ($400,000)
- Lucie Pudilova ($23,000 + $23,000 win bonus = $46,000) def. Wu Yanan ($20,000)
- Tyson Pedro ($43,000 + $43,000 win bonus = $86,000) def. Harry Hunsucker ($12,000)
- Marcin Tybura ($120,000 + $120,000 win bonus = $240,000) def.
Alexander Romanov ($36,000)
- Jared Gordon ($47,000 + $47,000 win bonus = $94,000) def. Leonardo Santos ($44,000)
- Sean Woodson ($24,000) vs. Luis Saldana ($14,000)
- Ange Loosa ($12,000 + $12,000 win bonus = $24,000) def. A.J. Fletcher ($10,000)
- Amir Albazi ($16,000 + $16,000 win bonus = $32,000) def.
Francisco Figueiredo ($14,000)
- Aoriqiling ($12,000 + $12,000 win bonus = $24,000) def. Jay Perrin ($12,000)
- Victor Altamirano ($10,000 + $10,000 win bonus = $20,000) def. Daniel Lacerda ($10,000)