Khamzat Chimaev disappointed many with his unprofessionalism related to his unsuccessful weight loss ahead of the UFC 279 event. 7.5 pounds Chimaev was above the upper limit of the welterweight category and totally jeopardized his match against Nate Diaz.
However, Khamzat is not the only one who has lost weight ahead of the UFC 279 event. Chris Barnett managed to exceed the heavyweight limit by 1.5 pounds. 121.33 kg (267.5 'lbs') weighed "Huggy Bear" and thus became the second UFC fighter who managed to exceed the upper limit of the heavyweight division.
Justin Tafa at the end of last year became the first, and he weighed 267 pounds. With his 267.5 pounds, Barnett actually became the UFC's heaviest heavyweight since the upper limit was introduced and the heavyweight division was formed.
Jake Collier was at 265 pounds and it will be a showdown between two huge heavyweights. With the exception of Barnett and Chiamev, Hakeem Dawod did not do his duty either. The scales showed him 149.5 pounds and thus exceeded the limit of the featherweight category by 3.5 pounds.
Julian Erosa is his opponent, and he has successfully completed his task. The match is likely to take place, and it remains to be seen what percentage of Dawodu's fee will be lost to Erosa. Anton Turkalj, a Swedish fighter with Croatian roots, will debut tomorrow under the auspices of the UFC.
Turkalj entered the match against the Brazilian Jailton Almeida on short notice, and a catchweight of up to 220 pounds was agreed upon. Turkalj weighed 214 pounds at the weigh-in, while Almeida is slightly heavier at 216.5.
UFC 279 - weigh-in results (in-lb):
- Khamzat Chimaev (178.5* overweight) vs. Nate Diaz (171)
- Tony Ferguson (171) vs. Li Jingliang (170.5)
- Kevin Holland (179.5) vs. Daniel Rodriguez (179)
- Irene Aldana (137.5) vs. Macy Chiasson (139.5) - 140-pound catchweight
- Johnny Walker (205) vs.
Ion Cutelaba (205.5)
- Hakeem Dawodu (149.5 *over weight) vs. Julian Erosa (146)
- Jailton Almeida (216.5) vs. Anton Turkalj (214)
- Denis Tiuliulin (186) vs. Jamie Pickett (185.5)
- Jake Collier (265) vs.
Chris Barnett (267.5 *overweight)
- Norma Dumont (146) vs. Danielle Wolf (146)
- Chad Anheliger (135.5) vs. Alatengheili (135)
- Melissa Martinez (113.5) vs. Elise Reed (115.5)
- Darian Weeks (170.5) vs. Yohan Lainesse (171)