UFC 280 results and bonuses: The Fight of the Night was unquestionable
by FARUK IMAMOVIC | VIEW 455
We expected a lot from the UFC 280 event, and we got a lot. We watched a lot of exciting matches as part of the event that took place in Abu Dhabi, and it all ended with the victory of Islam Makhachev over Charles Oliveira.
The Dagestanian thus became the new UFC lightweight champion, and after 11 victories in a row, he deserved that epithet. With a "submission" in the second round, Makhachev forced Oliveira to tap, and in addition to the belt, he will take home a $50,000 bonus.
Makhachev was awarded a bonus for the best performance of the night, his second bonus in his 13th UFC appearance. He won the first in 2019 when he and Arman Tsarukyan were awarded a bonus for the best fight of the night. Belal Muhammad also received a performance bonus.
The fifth-ranked UFC welterweight challenger defeated Sean Brady (15-1-0), who was undefeated until last night, by technical knockout. Belal gave a very high-quality performance, and at the end of the second round, he shook Brady.
Belal continued to press relentlessly, throwing punches and the referee decided to stop the match, even though Brady was still on his feet. It is the third UFC bonus for Belal and the second for the best performance of the night.
When it comes to the winners of the bonus for the best fight of the night, there was no dilemma. Petr Yan and Sean O'Malley provided a fantastic 15 minutes, after which O'Malley won by split decision. The decision caused a lot of controversies, but it should not be forgotten that this was a great match and Petr Yan goes home with a bonus as a consolation prize.
Beneil Dariush also gave a very good performance against Mateusz Gamrot, as did Nikita Krylov against Volkan Oezdemir. Muhammad Mokaev and Malcolm Gordon played a very exciting match, but not all of them were awarded a bonus this time.
The fighters who won the bonus definitely deserved it, and whether someone else deserved it is not for us to judge.
UFC 280 - Results:
The main part of the show:
- Islam Makhachev def. Charles Oliveira via submission - R2, 3:16
- Aljamain Sterling def.
T.J. Dillashaw via TKO - R2, 3:44 - report
- Sean O'Malley def. Petr Yan via split decision (29-28 x2, 28-29) - report
- Beneil Dariush def. Mateusz Gamrot via unanimous decision (30-27 x2, 29-28)
- Manon Fiorot def. Katlyn Chookagian via unanimous decision (29-28 x3)
- Belal Muhammad def.
Sean Brady via TKO - R2, 4:47
- Caio Borralho def. Makhmud Muradov via unanimous decision (30-27 x2, 29-28)
- Nikita Krylov def. Volkan Oezdemir via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28 x2)
- Abubakar Nurmagomedov def. Gadzhi Omargadzhiev via unanimous decision (29-28 x2, 30-27)
- Armen Petrosyan def.
AJ Dobson via unanimous decision (30-27 x3)
- Muhammad Mokaev def. Malcolm Gordon via submission (armbar) - R3, 4:26
- Karol Rosa def. Lina Lansberg via majority decision (29-27 x2, 28-28)