An alleged illegal weapon possession charge was filed against Nigerian-New Zealander mixed martial artist Israel Adesanya at New York's John F. Kennedy airport on Wednesday. After a heavy defeat at the UFC 281 event in New York, Israel Adesanya ended his stay in New York somewhat ingloriously.
Until recently, the UFC middleweight champion was arrested today at the airport in New York. Izzy was arrested by the police and briefly detained for, as originally stated, possession of a weapon. But no, Israel Adesanya did not try to board the plane with a pistol or an automatic rifle, but he had a so-called boxer in his possession.
It is a metal object, that is, a type of cold weapon that is placed on the hand in order to increase the effect of the blow. Possession of Brass knuckles is illegal in New York and carries a possible prison sentence of up to a year.
Fortunately for Adesanya, the situation was quickly resolved.
His manager Tim Simpson released a statement to MMA Fighting.
“Israel was handed a gift by a fan, which he put in his luggage,” Adesanya’s manager Tim Simpson said in a statement.
“When flagged at the airport, Israel quickly disposed of the item, and co-operated with authorities. He has complied accordingly, with that the matter was dismissed and he is on his way home”. The news of Adesanya's arrest quickly resonated with the world's MMA media, as did information about a possible prison sentence.
Of course, it was an exaggeration, and in the end the situation turned out to be much milder than it seemed at first. Adesanya will certainly not remember this arrival in New York as a good one, but the most important thing is that he comes home happy.
After the announced recovery, we believe that he will begin preparations for a spectacular return. A rematch against Alex Pereira is the most likely option for the next appearance.
UFC 281 Main Card live results
- Alex Pereira defeated Israel Adesanya via TKO (punches) – Round 5, 2:01 – for middleweight title
- Zhang Weili defeated Carla Esparza via submission (RNC) – Round 2, 1:05 – for women’s strawweight title
- Dustin Poirier defeated Michael Chandler via submission (RNC) – Round 3, 2:00
- Chris Gutierrez defeated Frankie Edgar via KO (knee) — Round 1, 2:01
- Dan Hooker defeated Claudio Puelles via TKO (kick to the body) — Round 2, 4:06
- Renato Moicano defeated Brad Riddell via submission (RNC) – Round 1, 3:20
- Ryan Spann defeated Dominick Reyes via knockout (punch) – Round 1, 1:20
- Erin Blanchfield defeated Molly McCann via submission (kimura) – Round 1, 3:37
- Andre Petroski defeated Wellington Turman via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
- Matt Frevola defeated Ottman Azaitar via knockout (punch) – Round 1, 2:30
- Karolina Kowalkiewicz defeated Silvana Gomez Juarez via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Michael Trizano defeated Seungwoo Choi via knockout (punches) – Round 1, 4:51
- Montel Jackson defeated Julio Arce via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-29)
- Carlos Ulberg defeated Nicolae Negumereanu via knockout (punches) – Round 1, 3:44