Hong Kong

Hong Kong is a former British colony and a special administrative region of China since 1997. Located on the southern coast of China between the Pearl River Delta and the South China Sea, the city is famous for its impressive urban profile and deep natural harbor. With an area of 2 754 km2 and a population of over seven million people, Hong Kong is one of the most densely populated areas in the world. 95% of Hong Kong's population is ethnic Chinese, while the remaining 5% belong to other groups. The city's majority Chinese ethnic group, the Han, originates primarily in the cities of Guangzhou and Taishan in neighboring Guangdong province.

Hong Kong is one of the most important international financial centers in the world and boasts a developed free market economy based mainly on the tertiary sector and characterized by low taxation and free trade. The currency, the Hong Kong Dollar, is the eighth most traded currency in the world. The lack of space and the growing number of inhabitants and infrastructure have led the city to have an intense density of buildings, making it the most vertical city in the world. Hong Kong citizens have one of the highest per capita incomes in the world.